Fire Plans Examiner
Req ID: 1122
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 12/16/2018 at Midnight
Plans Examiners are responsible for the review and acceptance of submitted plans and specifications. This includes fire protection equipment, compliance alternatives, life safety studies, engineering studies for compliance with Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, NFPA, ULC, CSA and other applicable codes, standards and regulations. This individual will be responsible for maintaining files for buildings, fire protection systems etc. under review, providing information and assistance for internal and external clients, managing workflow and work assignments and performing other related duties as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Plans Examination Officer, the Plans Examiner will be responsible for:
- Review and acceptance of submitted plans and specifications of fire protection equipment, compliance alternatives, life safety studies, engineering studies for compliance with Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, NFPA, ULC, CSA and other applicable codes, standards and regulations,
- Corresponding and interact with internal and external clients,
- Maintaining files for buildings, fire protection systems etc. under review,
- Providing information and assistance for internal and external clients,
- Manage workflow and work assignment queue
- Performing other duties as required.
- NOTE: this is a bargaining unit position
Skills and Qualifications
Post-secondary graduation from a university, technical or community college with membership in APEO or OACETT or an equivalent combination of experience, training and knowledge to competently perform all aspects of this job. Minimum three years’ experience in plan examination of fire protection systems, equipment and processes, or in a position directly related to design, construction or installation of same.
Must have an excellent working knowledge of:
- The Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, NFPA, ULC, CSA and other applicable codes, standards and regulations related to fire protection,
- The technical aspects of fire protection and life safety systems including, but not limited to, fire alarm, voice communication, sprinkler, hose and standpipe, emergency lighting and power, fire pumps, water supply and fire suppression systems,
- The storage, use and handling of dangerous goods,
- Hazardous processes and activities,
- Storage configurations of commodities,
- Building construction and occupant types.
- Issue resolution and customer service
- The ideal candidate must:
- have a Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) Building Code Identification Number (BCIN)
- be able to read and correctly interpret submitted plans and specifications for fire protection systems, compliance alternatives, life safety studies, engineering reports and other assigned materials
- be willing to take required training courses which may be off site and out of city.
- be proficient at the use of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite of programs, CAD type programs such as E-Plans and other internal programs.
- deliver a superior level of customer service, issue resolution processes and demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively.
- be able to balance multiple projects and strict deadlines
- excellent interpersonal skills are required with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, internal and external clients.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $86,871 – $102,201
Hours of Work: 40
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Fire Division , Fire Prevention & Life Safety
To apply, follow this link: https://jobs.mississauga.ca/job/Mississauga-Fire-Plans-Examiner-ON/360248917/
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.