FIRE PREVENTION INSPECTOR
The Town of Ajax, situated on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, is an innovative municipal sector leader that provides a variety of services to one of the fastest growing communities in Ontario. With over 120,000 residents, Ajax’s rich heritage and culturally diverse community make it a great place to work and live.
Through the application of an aggressive fire safety model that has a foundation based on Public Education, Fire Safety Standards and Enforcement and Emergency Response, the Fire Prevention Inspector position is instrumental in reducing the likelihood of fire incidents within the Town of Ajax. You will conduct fire safety inspections on public and private buildings and assess building and site plans for compliance with relevant codes, standards and applicable legislation; evaluate and monitor fire safety plans and participate in public education programs. In addition, you will inspect fire protection systems and equipment, conduct fire scene investigations and prepare reports and other documents related to inspection and enforcement.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Fire Protection Technology and/or Graduate of the Fire Prevention Officer Program from the Ontario Fire College or equivalent education
- Minimum of four (4) years of related experience with demonstrated aptitude in the field of fire prevention and protection
- Demonstrated experience in property inspection, reading building and site plans and delivering public education programs
- Must have proficient working knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, NFPA Standards and other relevant municipal and or provincial legislation
- Must have excellent organization, communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ licence with clear driver’s abstract
- Ability to provide a current Criminal Reference/Vulnerable Sector Check satisfactory to the Town of Ajax – upon being hired
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule including occasional evenings and weekends
Other preferred qualifications:
- NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector Level l and or Level ll
- NFPA 1035 Public Educator Level l and or Level ll
- NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator or Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator meeting NFPA 921
- BCIN qualification in General Legal
- BCIN qualification in Fire Protection
The salary range is $58,901 to $98,169 annually. This is a unionized position that works a 38 hour work week (4 days per week). The Town offers a comprehensive benefit package with paid sick and vacation leave; plus an OMERS pension.
Go to www.ajax.ca/careers to create your online profile and upload you resume and cover letter by no later than 11:59 p.m. on August 31, 2018.
Candidates who are selected to move ahead in this recruitment process will be invited to attend a written exam that will be scheduled on September 22, 2018. If you are selected to write the exam, you will be required to bring proof of your education and certifications to the exam on September 22, 2018.
Equal & Diverse Opportunity Employer
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. As a best practice employer, the Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources of any accommodation you may require during the process.