Fire Prevention Inspector (Full Time Permanent) (Job # 2019-057-IE)
Department: Fire & Emergency Services
Status: Full-Time, Permanent, Unionized
Date Posted: May 21, 2019
Date Closing: June 7, 2019, 4:30pm
Number of Positions: 1
Scheduled Hours/Shifts: 40 hours / week
Salary: Per collective agreement: $59,953.00 – $99,921.00
Position Purpose: Whitchurch-Stouffville Fire & Emergency Services (WSFES) has an exciting opportunity because of continuous growth within our community. The position of Fire Prevention Inspector is an exciting avenue to apply your experience in the fields of fire prevention, public education and strong plan review skills as part of the WSFES team. Our commitment is to proudly protect people and property through Public Education, Fire Prevention, and Emergency Response. As an Assistant to the Ontario Fire Marshal, reporting to the Fire Prevention Officer, you will be responsible for inspecting various premises, enforcing the Ontario Fire Code (OFC) and other applicable legislation and standards. Assess new construction and site plans for compliance with relevant codes and standards as it relates to fire protection. Inspect fire and life safety systems and equipment, prepare inspection orders, review fire safety plans, testify and give evidence in court, prepare and deliver fire and life safety presentations to various community stakeholders.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Post-Secondary Diploma in Fire Protection, Building Construction, Engineering or equivalent of education and experience.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code and Ontario Building Code.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, function, installation, maintenance and operation of sprinkler systems, standpipe and hose systems, fire alarm and voice communication systems, commercial cooking equipment ventilation and various fire protection systems.
- Track record as an organized professional with excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, research and report-writing skills.
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s license with less than 4 demerit points (driver’s abstract must be submitted as a condition of employment).
- A vulnerable sector screening must be provided as a condition of employment.
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Experience conducting plans examination of new construction, delivering public education programs and facilitating prosecutions.
- Building Code Identification Number (BCIN), in: General Legal and Fire Protection
- 3-5yrs experience currently working as a Fire Prevention Inspector
- NFPA 1031, Level II Fire Inspector Certification
- NFPA 1035, Level II Public Educator
- NFPA 1033, Fire and Explosion Investigation
This full-time position is subject to a 12-month probationary period. Salary as per the current collective agreement. Starting salary will be based on experience, qualifications and certifications. The successful candidate may require completing further certifications as it relates to roles and responsibilities within the department.
How to apply:
Please forward your resume in confidence by June 7, 2019 at 4:30 pm identifying Job # 2018-057-IE – Last Name, First Name in the subject line to email@example.com. Please ensure your application is saved as PDF format and in one single document.
Committed to diversity and a barrier-free environment: Whitchurch-Stouffville is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. As we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Town, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.