Fire Prevention Inspector
(Full Time Permanent)
(Job # 2018-049-E)
Department: Fire & Emergency Services
Status: Full-Time, Permanent, Unionized
Date Posted: June 1, 2018
Date Closing: June 29, 2018, 4:30pm
Number of Positions: 1
Scheduled Hours/Shifts: 40 hours / week
Salary: Per collective agreement: Jan 1, 2018 – $ 98,834.00 / July 1, 2018 – $ 99, 921.00
Position Purpose: The Fire Prevention Inspector position is an exciting opportunity to apply your strong plan review skills and experience in the fields of fire prevention and protection as part of the Whitchurch-Stouffville Fire and Emergency Services team, which strives to provide the highest level of life safety and property protection to those who live, work and play in our community. Reporting to the Fire Chief, you will be responsible for inspecting various premises to determine compliance with respect to applicable codes and regulations. Assess building and site plans for compliance with relevant codes and standards as it relates to fire protection. As an Assistant to the Fire Marshal, you will inspect and test fire-protection equipment and systems, prepare inspection orders, review fire safety plans, testify and give evidence in court, prepare and deliver fire and life safety presentations to various stakeholders. This full-time position is subject to a 12-month probationary period.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Post-Secondary Diploma in Fire Protection, Building Construction, Engineering; with 3 to 5 years’ experience in the field or in a similar capacity is preferred
- Building Code Identification Number, BCIN, certification in: General Legal, Small Buildings, Fire Protection
- Demonstrated proficient working knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Ontario Provincial Offence Act, NFPA Standards
- Experience conducting inspections of a broad range of occupancy types, conducting plans examination of new construction, delivering public education programs and facilitating prosecutions
- NFPA 1031, Level II Fire Inspector Certification
- NFPA 1035, Level II Public Educator
- NFPA 1033, Fire and Explosion Investigation (is an asset)
- Track record as an organized professional with excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, research and report-writing skills
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s license with less than 4 demerit points (driver’s abstract must be submitted as a condition of employment)
- A vulnerable sector screening must be provided as a condition of employment.
How to apply:
Please forward your resume in confidence by June 29, 2018 at 4:30 pm identifying Job # 2018-049-E – Last Name, First Name in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your application is saved in one single document.
Committed to diversity and a barrier-free environment: Whitchurch-Stouffville is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. As we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Town, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.